• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 BlackHoleSlam

BlackHoleSlam

Pro Bowl

• Members
  • 2,359 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:00 PM

The one thing all of us can say, is that we didn't follow the team because they were considered "America's Team" or because of a shelf-full of Lombardi trophies.....so clearly we must all have a story, even if it's as dull as "well I grew up in Louisiana and just always followed them". Hey, at least you've stuck with them.

I'm a lifelong resident of Louisiana, but the story isn't that straight-forward.

Time for some bad news.

When I first started watching football, at the age of 11 (this would be in 1990), I was a ....

49ers fan

(boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo)

Yes, the likes of Joe Montana, Steve Young, Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Charles Haley...etc.........along with the fact that they'd already been to 2 straight Super Bowls, made me a 49ers fan. I was a classic front-runner, you might say. But to my credit, I stayed with the 49ers even after they lost that NFC Championship game to the Giants.....all the way thru their classic battles with Dallas and Joe Montana's trade, on forward.

Time for some even worse news...

I hated the Saints during a majority of those years.

Yes, my jr. high and high school years were mostly spent rooting against the Saints. Hell, I had to. In the early 90s, the Saints were not only a division rival of the 49ers, but they were actually a legitimate threat to the 49ers's division championship hopes (especially 1991, when the Saints would win that crown). In 1992, it took a 14-2 record by the 49ers to keep the Saints off their heels ( i think the Saints went 12-4 that year?). Plus, even though I enjoy listening to him now on the "Point After", I hated Bobby Hebert as a quarterback. Pure choke artist. Even in hindsight, I'm glad I didn't root for him back then.

So anyway....after the Saints started the 1993 season 5-0, only to finish 8-8, that essentially started a downward spiral for them, where they were perennial losers for the rest of the decade. As I was finishing up high school and entering college, I found myself rooting for the Saints, almost out of sympathy. I'd still root for the 49ers, but the Saints were definitely team #2 for me. Plus since I was a little older and a little wiser, I realized the value in having an NFL team play in one's home state.

Then in 1999, things changed permanently. Steve Young's concussions essentially ended his season within the first few weeks, which basically left Jerry Rice as pretty much one of the only reasons I followed the 49ers. I can't pinpoint the exact timeframe during that season, but at some point, the Saints became my #1 team, and the 49ers became #2. When 2000 rolled around (Haslett's first year), I basically abandoned the 49ers all together, since I saw no value in rooting for a division rival, even in a secondary manner (although i always rooted for Jerry Rice, thru his stint with the Raiders all the way to retirement). Since then, I've been with them non-stop, thru all the 8-8's, the hurricanes, and everything else. To me, they are just as Louisiana as hot sauce.

That concludes my journey towards becoming a Saints fan........what's the story of how YOU became a fan of so many frustrating Sunday afternoons? ;)

#2 WhoDat

WhoDat

Nilla Esquire

• 15,151 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:03 PM

Born in New Orleans. End. Of. Discussion.

LOL
"If you can't control the monkeys, what can you do?" -- Delhi High Court

#3 smchls

smchls

Rookie

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:20 PM

It's the only team i was allowed to root for hahahahaha. a fellow new orleanian as well

gooo saints

#4 DomePatrol51

DomePatrol51

Future of tha franchise

• Members
  • 1,486 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 07:20 PM

well when a man and a women who are saints fan love each other .... then 9 months later i was born during the dome patrol days. just pm for the rest of the story lmao ;)
Sic wit it

#5 saintnation27

saintnation27

Did you see me lay down the law! I am the LAWGIVER!

• Members
  • 4,756 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 08:23 PM

basically because my dad was a saints fan and i was his biggest fan. stuck with them ever since

FlyingLandShark_zps8d2fb688.gif

#6 paper_bag

paper_bag

All-Pro

• Members
  • 3,666 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:00 PM

Right before the 92 season, I watched a video called "Best of Thunder and Destruction: NFL's Hardest Hits". Now I watched football before that (jeez, I don't remember when I didn't watch football), but that video is what sold me on the Saints. It featured Derrick Thomas, Steve Atwater, and number 56, Patrick Swilling. I watched the Dome Patrol a couple times that year, and the Saints were became my favorite when I saw them play then. I remember I didn't catch a whole lot of games, so I had to read how the games went in the newspaper. Sometimes I didn't get much more than a score. And I remember not being able to buy anything that was saints. My first piece of Saints gear was a key chain when I was around 10... Guy had to blow the dust off before he engraved my name on it. He said "You really must be a fan, huh." I got my first shirt a couple years later. It was from a fellow Saints fan who drove a truck. He picked it up while driving through New Orleans for me. I was finally able to get my Saints winter jacket when Ricky joined the team.

So yeah, blame an old Sports Illustrated video from stopping me from being an Eagles fan. And blame the Dome Patrol for stopping me from becoming a Chiefs or Broncos fan (though I used to love the Broncos in Tecmo).
Don't feed the Calico.

#7 Guest_rabbdogg_*

Guest_rabbdogg_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:30 PM

saints fan born that way ...always hated the rams, 49ers, falcons and later the panthers and bucs....found myself cheering for the 90's cowboys because i hated the 49ers guts so much.. dont get me wrong ,i was NEVER a cowboys fan..just cheered for the cowboys around playoff time, because in the 90's..at playoff time, it was just those two...and if the saints couldn't have it.. i hoped the hated fag-a-9ers didnt win shit.

#8 DeuceDeuce

DeuceDeuce

Hall-O-Fame

• Members
  • 6,610 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:01 PM

The uniforms. Loved that Fleur-De-Lis. And plus my mom wouldn't have it any other way.
Posted Image

#9 Brann

Brann

Ill-tempered Texan

• Members
  • 1,750 posts
  • Interests:Women, cars, the Saints, cooking.

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:13 PM

My grandfather had me watch some games with him during the heyday of the Dome Patrol. Haven't looked back since.

#10 Saints Fan in Austin

Saints Fan in Austin

Next Year Is Right Now

• Admin
  • 12,091 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:14 PM

Both parents from New Orleans. Born into it.

#11 chaud

chaud

All-Pro

• Members
  • 3,112 posts
  • Interests:ahh pretty much everything

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:55 AM

Grew up (and still live) in NW Indiana, so I'm in the Bears market. I started getting into football when I was around 10 and was a Bears fan first and a Saints fan second. We took vacations nearly every year of my childhood down to Louisiana because I have a shitload of family there on my mom's side, so we'd all drive the 800+ miles and hang out for a week or two. So many awful Bears teams in that time but it wasn't like the Saints were any good either. I had to go thru the Wannstedt era where the best QB they had was probably Erik Kramer and then the Dick Jauron era. The Jauron era really pissed me off, especially the 2001 playoffs where they had a kickass defense and a ton of luck drove them to a 13-3 record. What drove me away was when they got their shit handed to them by the Eagles. I realized then that the Bears were a franchise stuck in the 30's and were never going anywhere, meanwhile the Saints games I would occasionally catch were always exciting, and the make-up of the team was much more interesting. When the 2006 season hit, I was obsessively looking up stats and other such BS about the team and that's how I stumbled upon this site.
Richard Griffin, meanwhile, bones his wife at the baseball meetings and makes babies with her like a real man, goddammit.

everything is good and it's gonna be that way forever

#12 SaintFanInATLHell

SaintFanInATLHell

The Professor

• Members
  • 248 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:39 AM

I moved to New Orleans when I was 7. My family has held season tickets since the early 70's. I attended most every home game until I went to college in Atlanta.

SFIAH
Check the stats: Defense wins Superbowls.

Knock 'em the ---- out! -- Gregg Williams

#13 NFLDiva

NFLDiva

Paid To Injure

• Admin
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:56 AM

Because I'm from Detroit. LOL It was either love my new home team or admit where I was from. :haha:

#14 Zimpel Man

Zimpel Man

I'm smiling inside

• 13,541 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:02 AM

Came to NO in the very early '80's about the same time as Bum. Was a big Oilers fan (or was it Bum fan?) in the '70s and couldn't avoid the Cowboys growing up in TX. The passion of the fans was probably the biggest attraction for me. For example, two of my wife's great aunts had season tickets from Day 1 until they died--and were both over 100 when they died. Now those were two under 5 foot tall bayou bulldogs. That, and the same gritty play the Bum got out of the team that he got out of the Oilers (even though the Saints weren't that great, he set the table for Mora), although he still had a weakness for terrible QBs (Pastorini). And I was tired of the fair weather Cowboy fans who hated the teams more than they actually liked them, even if they won the SB. I find that Cowboy fans have always loved to hate their team.

I think it's the same reason the old man drives the 8 hours in from TX for every home game. He still pulls for the Cowboys, but, deep down, he's really a Saints fan. He just can't bring himself to admit it publicly in TX.

Because I'm from Detroit. LOL It was either love my new home team or admit where I was from. :haha:

C'mon, you know the Wings are still your No. 1 team.

Of course, they used to suck worse (well, maybe as bad) as the Saints. :lol:
I'd love to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my #&@. - Anonymous Cajun
When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross. – Attributed to Sinclair Lewis
What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say about their cause, but what they say about their opponents. - Robert F. Kennedy

#15 suavecito80

suavecito80

Practice Squad

• Members
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 08:12 AM

When i was about seven I think the first batman movie came out and I wanted a shirt really bad. I went to the store with my pops and older brother and they had none in my size so i was a bit upset. my brother was already into the saints and told me to get a saints shirt instead. from then on i have been a die hard saints fan. being born and raised in new orleans it was destin to be :D . i dont know about you guys but if the saints relocate i wont watch NFL games but the super bowl the saints is the whole reason i watch football. GO SAINTS!!!
Posted Image

"Know the enemy and know yourself; in a hundred battles you will never be in peril. When you are ignorant of the enemy, but know yourself, your chances of winning or losing are equal. If ignorant both of your enemy and yourself, you are certain in every battle to be in peril."-Sun Tzu, "Art of War"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users