• Site Supporter
  • 3,202 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:28 AM

SABAN'S ARROGANCE

Sorry, this may turn your stomach!

By Steve Reeves
Assistant City Editor, Birmingham News
January 19, 2007 3:30AM

TUSCALOOSA | Alabama head football coach Nick Saban ontinues his whirl-wind courtship with the Crimson Tide faithful in person and on the air waves.

State-wide stable, Paul Finebaum ended his 13-year affiliation with WERC-AM this week with a three-hour call in show with Saban. Finebaum has agreed to a three-year contract with Citadel Broadcasting, which owns WJOX.

Finebaum's last show on WERC, Saban presented a confident, personable style, punctuated with good-natured barbs at Auburn, Mississippi State, and saving his strongest lines for his former employer, LSU.

Finebaum's show airs from 2-6 p.m. Monday through Friday and is also carried on about 20 other stations, mostly in Alabama, under the banner of the Paul Finebaum Radio Network.

Finebaum's show was previously heard in Tuscaloosa on WTBC 1230AM, where it will still be aired. Officials with WTBC did not return a phone call Friday.

"I'm sure the SEC hasn't changed much over the past two seasons. I mean Mississippi State is still funding scholarships by collecting pop bottles and aluminum cans along the highways," said Saban, half jokingly Friday afternoon. "Auburn, our motto --'Where most coaches are fired' -- is still
in effect."

"LSU was nothing before I arrived. Academically, athletically, physical plant, nothing. I made LSU. I was LSU. Their current success is solely due to my recruits. Coach Miles, while a fine man, does not fill my shoes, fit my desk, or cast a taller shadow. Our coaching staff is superior to anything in Baton Rouge. We will go into Louisiana an take each and every player we want. LSU will not, nor can not stop me. Mark my words."

Finebaum point blank asked Saban if those comments mean LSU is a bigger foe than Auburn, a team that has dominated the Crimson Tide in recent years.

"No. Auburn is in-state. They are consistently the best team in the West,which speaks to the talent in Alabama. As talent I recruited graduates from LSU, after this season, they will return to the loweer depths of this league."

When pressed about his initial comments about LSU "being special", Saban rejoined, "It was special. I won a title there. But LSU fans focus is on the pre-game party aspect. Winning the party is paramount there. Seven-win football and winning baseball will keep them happy."

Currently there is a controversy regarding Saban's comments about the staff at LSU to previously committed Tiger recruits. In visiting Curtis star Joe McKnight, Nick Saban has created a stir while visiting LSU commitments Phelon Jones, a cornerback from McGill-Toolen High in Mobile, Ala., and Luther Davis, a defensive end from West Monroe.

According to both prospects, Saban took credit for LSU's recent success as he signed most of the players involved in the Tigers' 22-4 run since he left.

Neither player agreed to take a visit to Alabama, though, and refused to de-commit from LSU.

"Great guy, but he is a little bit overconfident," Jones' father Tony is quoted as saying at Tigerbait.com.

Saban also got a no from Davis in West Monroe.

"He (Saban) was kind of mad that we turned down the visit and turned down the scholarship," Davis told Tigerbait.com. "He said that there is no way that the coaching staff at LSU can compare to the coaching staff we have at Alabama right now. He gave no credit to anyone."

"I don't think the LSU coaches are upset with Saban," according to Mike Scarborough of Tigerbait.com. "It probably just makes them very motivated to out-recruit him. I think they also think it's unbelievable some of the things he is saying about LSU.
Posted Image

#2 Shadowdrinker_x

Shadowdrinker_x

Pelican Testicles

• Members
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:59 AM

Wow...That's some pretty foul talk from a guy trying to recruit out of state players...

I'm not sure how true his statements about ''building LSU from nothing'' and all that are...But I can tell you that Miami was a pretty decent team when he took over, and they have a legendary NFL franchise...they were something, and he left them in smouldering ruins...so it can go both ways.

It's just not good to see a Head Coach, College or Pro, talk like that.
Chuck D - Sampling basically comes from the fact that rap music is not music.

#3 SpaceSaint

SpaceSaint

Summer...

• Site Supporter
  • 1,411 posts
  • Interests:Space, Danica, and the Saints!

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:06 AM

He shouldn't throw stones from his glass house. Miami was nothing before he arrived and it was nothing when he left.

What a classless boob...
God Speed Heroes.....
IPB Image

#4 NFLDiva

NFLDiva

Paid To Injure

• Admin
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:26 AM

I didn't really start getting into college football until right before Saban left LSU, was he always this much of an asshole, or is this something that has just started since he became such a "wanted" coach?

#5 Locke

Locke

A Son OF Anarchy

• 9,570 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:32 AM

I'm glad yoyu guys with blinders on Ole Nick the Dick have finally seen him for what he is, which is a arrogant prick.
TIME TO BEEF UP THE DL

#6 Danno

Danno

The Truth Addict, Right Again!!

• Members
  • 7,428 posts
  • Interests:So, the empty suit, teleprompter dependent, marxist puppet is proving his incompetence rather frequently now...I told you so. LMMFAO!!!

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:39 AM

Do you have a link? I can find nothing on this story, or a Steve Reeves that works for the B'ham News.

There is no record of a Steve Reeves that works for the B'ham news. There is a Garland Reeves, but no story on file.

Sounds like a hoax to me.

Have you been Duped?
2009 Slogan - "No more stupid slogans"

#7 BillyCarpenter1

BillyCarpenter1

Hall-O-Fame

• Banned
  • 14,549 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:51 AM

Nobody should be surprised. Besides, I've been telling you guys he was an asshole! :D

#8 NFLDiva

NFLDiva

Paid To Injure

• Admin
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:54 AM

I didn't really start getting into college football until right before Saban left LSU, was he always this much of an asshole, or is this something that has just started since he became such a "wanted" coach?

HELLOOO!!!

I'm not going to lift my shirt just so you all will answer my question. :P :P :P

#9 Danno

Danno

• Members
  • 7,428 posts
  • Interests:So, the empty suit, teleprompter dependent, marxist puppet is proving his incompetence rather frequently now...I told you so. LMMFAO!!!

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:59 AM

Do you have a link? I can find nothing on this story, or a Steve Reeves that works for the B'ham News.

There is no record of a Steve Reeves that works for the B'ham news. There is a Garland Reeves, but no story on file.

Sounds like a hoax to me.

Have you been Duped?

AGAIN!!!

#10 NFLDiva

NFLDiva

Paid To Injure

• Admin
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:01 AM

AGAIN!!!

Less coffee....more sleep Danno. :P :lol: :P

#11 papz

papz

All-Pro

• Members
  • 3,470 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:04 AM

Thanks Saban... you probably just landed us Toliver, McKnight, and Jones. Yippy! Then we'll have the number one recruiting class in the nation. This will be great for Saban's future recruiting in Louisiana... I mean who's parents wouldn't want their child to be coached by such a wonderful man. :D

Actually Luther Davis did make that trip to Alabama behind Miles back and visited with Saban... though he did turn down the offer. Miles is pretty pissed with him right now. Saban made a trip to Monroe to recruit Luther Davis' little brother who is a junior in high school and supposely WAY better than his brother... which is quite scary. Guess what his little brother told Saban... I'm going to LSU. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Romeus will be Kiwanuka lite.

#12 Danno

Danno

• Members
  • 7,428 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:04 AM

Less coffee....more sleep Danno. :P :lol: :P

So I can post articles that may say "PAYTON IS AN ASSHOLE" and not provide links?

I'm not saying it is false, but it sure looks like it, since that article shows nowhere in the B'ham news.

Or is the hate for the man so great that we can make up stories about him?

#13 NFLDiva

NFLDiva

Paid To Injure

• Admin
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:07 AM

So I can post articles that may say "PAYTON IS AN ASSHOLE" and not provide links?

I'm not saying it is false, but it sure looks like it, since that article shows nowhere in the B'ham news.

Or is the hate for the man so great that we can make up stories about him?

Come in off the ledge Danno, I realize he didn't post a link, but its OK...I'm sure he'll correct his mistake when he can. :unsure:

EDIT- OK, obviously this thread is upsetting the patients more than I thought....Northshore, until you can give me a link, this thread is moving, if you can add a link I will move it to the SportsCenter forum, because while it may interest us all, its not Saints news.

SECOND EDIT- And still..no one answered my question....Thanks! Love you too, you buncha bitches. :P

#14 fanfromoceansprings

fanfromoceansprings

Pro Bowl

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  • Interests:Diver

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:29 AM

DIVA...of course opinions vary (yea and the other things associated with opinions) but to answer your question YES he has always seemed to be an asshole. Happy now? You've most likely heard about all the crap he pulled in Miami. His tweenkies and hair cut? Seemed that he had a policy in Miami where no one "below" his paygrade could speak to him unless spoken to first. And he went off on some poor staff admin type because the right or preferred type of twinkies were not available to him. Yea I'd say he is an ass. Gonna lift your shirt now? :D

#15 NFLDiva

NFLDiva

Paid To Injure

• Admin
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:31 AM

DIVA...of course opinions vary (yea and the other things associated with opinions) but to answer your question YES he has always seemed to be an asshole. Happy now? You've most likely heard about all the crap he pulled in Miami. His tweenkies and hair cut? Seemed that he had a policy in Miami where no one "below" his paygrade could speak to him unless spoken to first. And he went off on some poor staff admin type because the right or preferred type of twinkies were not available to him. Yea I'd say he is an ass. Gonna lift your shirt now? :D

I did hear about all his antics in Miami, I had just never heard anything about how he was perceived or acted at LSU. But thank you for the confirmation...And no, I'm not lifting my shirt, but it was a good try. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users